Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Day Before Christmas

and the children were sleeping....their 20 minute siestas if we're lucky. If they don't our dinner (at 10pm...normal Spanish hour to eat) at Blanca Paloma will be ruined. I'm looking forward to taking friends to our favorite restaurant. They have a great chef and are always doing innovative things with traditional Spanish ingredients.

Last night we went to the local tapa bar Sol y Sombra so named for the seat options in bullrings. Sol (sun) seats being cheaper than sombra (shaded) seats. Of course, being us, we arrived at 8:30pm, but it doesn't open until 9:00pm, so we had to cross the street to a different bar first where the don and friend ate cola del toro. At Sol y Sombra had 2 bottles house wine, solomillo al ajillo, merluza cazuela, gambas al ajillo and pimientos al padron.

Random Adrian quotes and questions on religion:

"Even if I believed in God, I will still like Santa Claus more."

"I don't understand; If God controls when people live and when they die, why did he let those people kill Jesus?"

"I guess some people think God controls everything."
me: why?
"Well, my teacher says, tomorrow will be a sunny day, si dios quiere (If god wishes)"

"They say they're eating part of Jesus' body in communion, but it can't be!"
me: why?
"Well, Jesus body wasn't that big to be in all the churches every Sunday for so many years!"

Of course, having been denied a religious (read catholic) upbringing myself, I have very few answers for him; I just do the teacher-thing and turn the question back on him.

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

My first husband, as an LDS missionary in Argentina, learned this sentence to answer all religious questions of this nature:

Éste es uno de los misterios que no entendemos.

I have often thought this an extremely useful sentence.