Thursday, February 1, 2007

Andalucia Once More

Leaving Paris wasn't so hard after all. In the last days, I became anxious to see el gatito again and hear him chatter about life and legos (really what else is there? He is now calling Spanish toy stores by himself to ask whether they have 'numero 9200?' Obviously, El Don can't or won't do it...and so motivation makes the world go round). I must say in the last days, the gray Parisian sky, the misty rain, the blaring of gendarmes horns lost its charm.

Yesterday, I rolled my big black suitcase down to the metro at Bastille, managed to carry it down the steps, force it through the turnstall and get it onto an overflowing metro, but of course, when I got to the first of two change points, there were steps. LOTS of steps. And here I was, trying to leave the city looking chic....dress and boots. But of course, there is always a knight who comes along, isn't there? This time in the form of a handsome, well-muscled African man who kindly carried my bag down all flights of stairs, smiled and wished me Bon Voyage....

As the plane landed (15 mintues early) in Sevilla, I felt myself coming home again...and what a homecoming it was. El gatito, with friend, Javier, had, in the last hours I am assured, torn the otherwise clean and orderly house apart. Pillows, legos, blankets, stuffed animals everywhere. Where was El Don you ask? Where else? In the kitchen with his biologist friend, Lynn, just in from Hamburg, drinking wine and talking science.

El Gatito: "Mommy, tomorrow I'm going to clean EVERYTHING!"

And so today, I make the strange and natural transition back to domestic life. I am mother once more, already being told that homework can be postponed, that he doesn't want to go with us to Italica or Cordoba on the weekend, etc. El Don is glad I'm back. Competent alone with gatito for a month? Absolutely. Tired? Definitely. We'll see if I can pick up some slack before I try to draft out MY yearly marital review!

3 comments:

middlebrow said...

Oh yes, the review. I do hope the review goes well for you. But wait, there's a special marital review moratorium for couples living outside the U.S.

Lisa B. said...

Who says? That was in the pre-9/11 world, middlebrow. Now, everyone has to be reviewed, especially if they're on the no-slack list. Good luck, s.t.

Dr. Write said...

Yes. You notice I haven't posted anything re: marital review. I fear my review just now might be negative. Evidence: my stunning lack of culinary achievement. Though I have been good at laundry lately.
Good luck with it. I'll provide you a reference, if needed.