Monday, March 26, 2007

Sevilla: Museum of Tiny Art

On Sunday we went to the museum of fine arts here in Sevilla. The museum is housed in an old, gorgeous 15th century convent with traditional tiles on some of the walls. The collected works are mostly those of famous Sevillan artists.
The really fun part was being in the museum with Adrian and realizing how much children notice!
"Look, Sylvia, how Jesus is so calm on the cross."
"What?" I ask.
"That picture way down there."
I look down at the other end of the room and see a huge painting. In the middle of the picture is Jesus on the cross. There are two other crosses, one on each side of Jesus. Each has a man on it as well (the thieves?).
"See?" Adrian says. "See how Jesus is so calm, accepting it, but the other men are fighting their deaths."
I look and see. Not only had I completely glazed over this picture (one of many with religious themes) but even when I looked at it, I didn't really SEE it. Thank god for the little people of the world who make us see.

2 comments:

Dr. Write said...

That Gatito might be an art critic. That, or a religious philosopher. Or maybe just a "deep thinker." Definitely a deep thinker. Maybe he can be my Spanish tutor.

Lisa B. said...

Future priest/art scholar?