Sunday, March 4, 2007

Spring Thoughts of Nothing

Spring has arrived to southern Spain. We've got temps in the 70s, lots of sun. The dark house is light once again. On the weekends, the strip of grass in front of the river is crowded with young people (does it mean you're old when you start referring to 18-25 year olds as "young"?)...They are out, scantily clad, the males riding their vespas past the females, guitars, and lots of rum and coke...This all looks fine, but later, they come stumbling home by my house, screaming and breaking bottles and often vomiting outside my door....

One things I won't miss in Spain. Well, 3 things, actually: garbage in the street, dog shit in the street and passing vomit on my way to gatitos school.

Why live here? This past weekend, we rented a car and went out with the Danish friends to explore the countryside. We visited 3 sets of Roman ruins, one right next to the beach with columns and statues and a salting factory where they salted the tuna and made garum....a delicatessen condiment made from fish guts and other things. Apparently, this stuff was more expensive than caviar. I love walking the old Roman streets, smelling the rosemary that has been planted there and imagining Trajan and Hadrian who were born and lived in these places. In so many ways...so little has changed: people live, eat, die, fall in love, out of love, empires rise and fall....(odd to think we're on the downturn of our own empire right now.....what will they say of the USA people 2000 years from now?)

6 comments:

Lisa B. said...

They will say, "They suffered the consequences of the end of empire." That's what they'll say.

Scorpion's Tail said...

Of course, Lisa! I should have just asked gatito, eh?

Nik said...

If I don't get some spring I might die. Atlanta was mostly sunny but not 70. I need 70. Even for a few minutes. There are 2 feet of snow outside. The windo blows. At least it's sunny for the first time in 6 months.
On a bright note--we do have tapas here. Sure, they're $8 a pop but still. Warmed from within is ALMSOT as good as from without.
Missed you at the AWP! Maybe in NYC?

middlebrow said...

Sounds wonderful. As always, I'll be the counter to lisa b and say that I'm not yet persuaded that the U.S. empire is coming to an end. (Do not take that as an endorsement of that empire, however.)

We're glad you're having fun there, but (selfishly) we're looking forward to your return.

Dr. Write said...

Yes. We all are in need of spring. We are suffering the consequences of eternal winter. I know I shouldn't complain, but when one is so good at it, one can't help oneself.
We miss you terribly and anxiously await your return.

Counterintuitive said...

I don't miss any of those things either (I was in Spain in 89 and 90) but I do, speaking of the streets, miss parents helping their little kids urinate into the gutter sin verguenza.