Monday, May 21, 2007

the academic's son

Gatito's second cousin arrives with a jumbo size bag of M&Ms (which I'm allowed to eat, but ONLY IF I ASK PERMISSION).

Gatito opens the bag and spills some onto the table in front of us. They roll, spin, twirl and stop. I grab a yellow (where did light brown go?).

Gatito pops one in his mouth and says: I'm going to write a grant to the government to do some research and start making m&ms.

(I sense something good is coming, or is it a didactic monologue like The Don provides from time-to-time? I'm unsure and so I do an un-scorpion-tail-thing and keep quiet).

I'm going to get a grant to make new m&ms. M&Ms with caramel inside, and good ones too. With ham and cheese, with (he glances at me) with WINE, with all kinds of stuff.

Now you tell me. What is more amazing? An 8 year old already thinking of getting grants from the government or the making of M&M with wine?
(hope it's red wine)

3 comments:

Nik said...

I'm just waiting for Gatito to save the planet. If it's via wine-filled M&M's, so be it.

Lisa B. said...

Good call, Gatito! If he needs a letter of support, I'm offering. I have a lot of expertise in candy(ology).

Dr. Write said...

I find our children brilliant AND hilarious. Of course he will get that grant, and we will be better off because of it.
Do you think he could get me a grant?